THE DAILY TRANSCRIPT Monday, August 16, 1993

Another TKO For McNeeley

Medfield heavyweight remains unbeaten

By Stephen Tobey

WHITMAN — Medfield heavyweight boxer Peter McNeeley continued his on-the-job training Saturday night, disposing of Brooklyn, NY's Bobby Perez after two rounds of a scheduled six-round bout.


"I crushed him with defense. I showed patience and I learned to pick up the pace. This is the first time I used my defense."


McNeeley (20-0, 17 knockouts) knocked down Perez (4-3) twice prior to the stoppage, once in the first round and again in the second. Perez got up both times and came back swinging wildly, connecting occasionally.

Just before the end of the second round, McNeeley spun Perez against the ropes and nailed him with a thunderous left hook to the kidney that sent Perez through the ropes. Perez untangled himself and stumbled back to his corner, where he decided that he had enough.

Before the start of the third round, referee Gerry Leone signaled the fight was over, much to the delight of the pro-McNeeley crowd at the National Guard Armory.

"He was what we call a spoiler," said the 24-year-old McNeeley of Perez. "He can make you look bad. He was fast and crisp."

"Believe it or not, the face punches didn't bother me as much," said Perez, who weighed in at a lean 183 pounds to McNeeley's solid 215. "Those body punches did. McNeeley can really hit. His future looks bright. I have to spend more time in the gym working on body punches."

Both fighters took turns fighting off the ropes in the first round.

The first two minutes were fairly even, with Perez showing slick boxing moves and McNeeley throwing harder punches, but in the final minute, McNeeley landed a powerful hook to the stomach that sent Perez to the canvas. After taking the full eight-count, Perez grabbed on to McNeeley until the end of the round.

Perez began the second round throwing several wild punches, landing three to McNeeley's head and shoulders. McNeeley jabbed through Perez's defense, setting up the second knockdown, which came from a left hook to the head.

After the second knockdown, McNeeley landed a right and a left to Perez's head, stunning the New Yorker. Perez answered with a hook to the body, then McNeeley came back with the body punch that ended the fight.

"I'm usually an offensive machine," said the gregarious McNeeley, while accepting congratulations from friends and fans. "I crushed him with defense. I showed patience and I learned to pick up the pace. This is the first time I've used my defense. I picked off most of his punches."

Recently, McNeeley was offered $175,000 to fight World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison. Vinnie Vecchione, McNeeley's manager, turned down the offer, preferring to take a slower, more careful path to a title shot. The slower path, Vecchione believes, will allow McNeeley to not only fight for a title, but also win it.

"He needs continued work," said Vecchione. "(He needs) guys who can take shots at him. It will take a year to a year and a half for him to settle down."

His pupil agreed. "I showed tonight that I need more work," said McNeeley, who has been fighting professionally for almost two years, averaging one fight per month.

He will be back in the ring on Sept. 10 at Wonderland Greyhound Park in Revere as part of a live show preceding the closed circuit showing of the Julio Cesar Chavez-Pernell Whitaker welterweight title fight. On Sept. 25, McNeeley will return to the Whitman Armory for another fight.

Related articles:
McNeeley Does Some Body Work For 20th Win   [The Suburban Press]
McNeeley Punching His Way To A Title Shot   [The Daily Transcript]
McNeeley's Career Ready To Take Off   [The Brockton Enterprise]
Athlete Of The Week: Peter McNeeley   [Harte-Hanks Newspapers]

This story ran on page 32 of The Dedham Daily Transcript on 08/16/93