METROWEST DAILY NEWS Saturday, July 23, 1994

McNeeley Scores TKO

By Stephen Tobey

PLYMOUTH — An owner of 23 career knockouts, Peter McNeeley doesn't like it if his opponent is still standing when the final bell is sounded.

Last night at Plymouth's steamy Memorial Hall, McNeeley left satisfied.

The up-and-coming Medfield heavyweight ran his record to 29-1 last night with a quick and decisive first-round TKO victory over Rochester, NY's Dwayne Hall. The fight was stopped by referee Harold Gomes at 2:25 of the first, shortly after Hall was sent crashing to the mat for the fourth and final time.

Medfield heavyweight Peter McNeeley gave the enthusiastic throng at Memorial Hall in Plymouth a typical result — a first round knockout, this time over Dwayne Hall.

"I was working toward the body early," said McNeeley. "He was trying to bang me with his head. I figured if the head was hanging there, I might as well go for it."

Hall was a last minute replacement for Bobby Crabtree, McNeeley's original opponent for last night. Some time within the last three days, Crabtree backed out. Hall was game, although after last night, he may be questioning that decision.

Hall and McNeeley had clashed once before, back on Nov. 6 of last year in Foxboro. In that fight, a scheduled six-rounder, Hall took McNeeley the distance before losing in a unanimous decision.

"The last time we fought, after the first round he warmed up," said McNeeley. "This time I figured I'd get him in Round 1 when he was cold. He went six with me last time and I don't like it when I don't knock the other guy out."

McNeeley had four times the fun last night. He floored the 207-pound Hall (16-5) with a left to the head inside the first minute of the fight. The second knockdown, shortly thereafter, was a right to the side of the body.   No. 3 was a left to the head and McNeeley made sure Hall was in Dreamland on No. 4 — a two-punch combination to an already swimming head.

Gomes could stand no more.

"There's no question it was a lot of knockdowns," said McNeeley's manager Vinnie Vecchione. "He just bores in and keeps punching. The kid is as close to a guy named Rocky (Marciano) as you can get."

The fight was the main event of a nine-fight card at indoor Memorial Hall. The four matches prior to McNeeley's also ended in early knockouts.

McNeeley, 25, last fought on June 24 in Foxboro against J.B. Williamson, who was unable to answer the third-round bell.

Next for McNeeley, who was recently ranked 20th by the World Boxing Council, is a planned Don King fight card in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Vecchione plans to meet with King in Florida next week.

When asked about King's recent arraignment on insurance fraud in a Manhattan federal court, Vecchione said, "If King felt like he was in trouble, would he have signed (Jr. flyweight champ) Michael Carbajal?"

Related articles:
McNeeley Raises Some 'Cane   [The Boston Herald]
McNeeley KO's Hall In First Round   [The Daily Transcript]
After 1st Round KO, Hurricane Eyes Next Level   [The Suburban Press]
A Tainted Victory For McNeeley   [The Brockton Enterprise]
McNeeley Puts Top 20 Ranking On Line Friday   [The Boston Patriot]
WBC Ranks McNeeley In Top 20   [The Suburban Press]

This story ran on page 4D of The Middlesex Daily News on 07/23/94